When searching, remember, a few words are better than many
ID78-Reasons to Call a Player’s Hand Dead
Question: What are the reasons a player’s hand could be declared dead?
Answer: These are the most common reasons a player’s hand can be declared dead:
- A player makes an incorrect exposure
- A player exposes tiles and it is obvious that based on the exposures there is no viable hand on the card.
- A player exposes tiles and it is obvious that a single tile or pair is needed and based on what has been discarded or has been exposed, the hand cannot be completed.
- A player exposes tiles for a concealed hand.
- A player has too few tiles (example discarding before picking a wall tile) or too many tiles in or on their rack.
- A player picks out of turn.
- A player picks up a misnamed tile causing an erroneous exposure.
- A player picks and racks from the wrong wall that has been pushed out.
- A player does a Joker exchange before picking their tile from the wall.
- A player declares Mah Jongg in error (see also ID123)
Source: Mah Jongg Made Easy 2020 pages 16 & 17, 20, #14 & 21 #19 [b],